This course is part of The PMC Studio Certification Programme, the highly regarded PMC Certification program supported by Mitsubishi Materials Corporation, the manufacturers of PMC (Precious Metal Clay).
The programme consists of 3 separate learning modules, each focused on different technique areas to give you a sound knowledge and hands on experience of a broad range of silver clay techniques. Perfect for enabling you to build your confidence and develop an in-depth understanding of working with silver clay, whilst achieving a certification for personal or professional development.
Each module is £360, plus materials. We also offer instalment plans and discounts for enrolling on all 3 modules. Click the 'Enrol Now' button at the bottom of the page to find out more
Module 1 will teach you how to:
- Work with combustible materials, for example leaves, seed pods and paper
- Make unique moulds
- Set fireable gemstones using simple bezels and design elements
- Use PMC paste to create strong, durable designs
- Work with bought textures and what to consider when choosing between low and high relief textures
- Add tube and fancy bails to your designs
- Correctly size and make a strong, textured band ring
- Use PMC lump form with moulds
- Form strong joins between multiple pieces of dry silver clay
- Incorporate glass into your designs
- Make dry construction designs
- Correctly size and make a designer toggle clasp
- Carve silver clay
- Firing 101: everything you ever wanted to know about firing but were afraid to ask
- Work with PMC3/Flex in lump and paste forms
- Refine your designs and prepare them for firing
- Finish your designs and make them ready to wear
The above techniques are taught via the following learning projects, for which you have complete design freedom:
1) Moulded pendant with a fireable gemstone
2) Naturally formed pendant, charm or bead
3) Domed (lentil) bead
4) Designer toggle clasp
5) Textured band ring
6) Dichroic glass pendant
To complete this course you will need the following supplies:
- 2 x PMC Flex 15g (clay weight 16.7g)
- 1 x PMC Flex 5g (clay weight 5.6g)
- 1 x pot of PMC3 paste (clay weight 18.6g)
- 100g Siligum2-part moulding compound
- Fireproof gemstone
- Object to mould such as shells, twigs, bark, buttons
- Any natural combustible material such as a leaf, sycamore seed pod or piece of husk (coated on 1 side) or an interestingly shaped pod or similar, such as a poppy seed head (fully encase). Potpourri mixes are often a good source.
- Circle Stencil
- Round Plastic Measuring Spoons (size 1/2 tsp/1 tsp)
- Ring mandrel
- Ring multi-sizer (US sizes)
- Square post-it note or ring strip
- 10mm dichroic glass cabochon
Each course has a programme of work, accompanied by a series of video's and downloads, which are accessed here in Thinkific, our learning management system. It helps you work through the course, step-by-step, download notes, and repeat lessons if needed. You don’t have to be here at a specific time, you just pop in and out when YOU can. So you go at your own pace. And all our courses come with a lifetime access guarantee, so do the course as many times as you like and benefit from updates as they are published - all for one enrolment fee.
We also have a Facebook page for general information and sharing - click here to follow us. In addition each course has a dedicated Facebook group for additional support and you'll be invited to join it when you enrol on a course. Here you can ask the tutor specific questions, connect with a community of people doing the same work as you and build friendships. We do live demonstrations here too, great for any tricky areas where you need some additional support, and they are always available in the group so that you can look at them again and again, at any time.
Finally, we sometimes hold tele-conferences via Zoom. This is usually whenever it is helpful to walk students through content. Whilst these sessions are held at a specified time and we recommend students join in person, we understand this isn't always possible so they are recorded and the video loaded into the Facebook group so that you can view it there if you miss it.
I’m paying in instalments – how will that work?
Before the course starts we will send you an instalment link to complete and you will pay £50 per month.
What if I change my mind?
You can book you place now, and have a 14 day ‘cool off’ period and be. However, if you start the course you will have had access to the tuition and the notes, so we would not refund at that stage. If you need to, you can defer the course until you are ready to take it.
I need lots of time to order materials at the moment – how will that work?
At the beginning of each module we will give you a tool and materials list. You can then order those as soon as possible. If there are specific suppliers, we will direct you to them. You will also be given a Pinterest link to review samples, student work and inspiration, to start the creative process.
How much time will we need to complete the course?
We would expect you to spend approximately 2 hours per week. Each module takes 18 hours in class. We have allowed 3 months for each module online. You can work at your own pace; we know stuff happens!! We would recommend you aim to complete 2 projects per month, but this will vary depending on your time.
How much experience do I need to do this course?
You need to have some experience of silver clay before you start as this isn't a beginners course. It’s a course for those that have done some silver clay and now want more … more skills, more opportunities to experiment and best of all more PLAY!!
What if I need extra one to one support?
If you need extra one to one support for one of more of the projects, you can purchase sessions just for you, to go through, trouble shoot, have demonstrations, and ask questions. These will be at an additional cost of £25 for a 30-minute session.
How do you assess my work?
The examination is at the end of each project, via photos and video. During the process we would expect you to share photos so that we can help, and make sure you are on the right track. If you are not sure please ask a question in the group. It’s best for us to check so that you don’t go off track! The great thing about a group is that others can help too.
How will I get my certificate?
This will be sent to you on successful completion of the course